Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fighting Addiction

Hi, my name is Brooke, I am a diet coke-aholic. My last diet coke was 1/22/10, and I only drank half. Diet coke is one of my favorite things in the world. But as most of you know my bowels hate me with a passion. The stress of school makes this ten times worse.. and caffeine apparently makes it worse as well (my GI tract, not my stress level). So that makes me a quitter. I use to consume anywhere from two to six diet cokes a day and I was happy. Then I was trying to cut back because its bad for my bones, so I was only drinking 2 cans per day. Now I don't have any, and it makes me sad. Rarely a day goes by when I don't crave diet coke. I use to just think it was the carbonation I loved, but its not. I drink non-caffeinated soda occasionally still like sprite and fresca but its just not the same. When I eat cake, brownies, cookies or popcorn, I am wishing I had a cold, refreshing diet coke to wash it down.

I am considering taking it back up again for the summer when I'm not in school and my stress level isn't at all time highs, but the withdrawal headaches I experienced for about 2 weeks after stopping were nearly unbearable! So I spend everyday fighting off the urge walk down to my downstairs fridge and get one. So I'm just taking it one diet cokeless day at a time and just trying to get by.

2 comments:

Annie Barker said...

You go girl! I was so not as strong as you. Me and my chocolate are contantly fighting...I give in way to much. :) Good luck with your Coke! Glad school is going so great for you. Miss ya.

Brooke said...

I had this same problem with Mt. Dew. I would stop at 7-11 on my way to work everyday and pick up a Big Gulp. Then maybe I would get one on the way home too. That was until I went to the dentist and had to get 5 cavities filled at one time. That was 5 years ago and I've had maybe 10 Mt. Dew's since. It gets easier!