Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fundamentals of Nursing Clinical

I did my Fundamentals Clinical at St. Joseph's Villa. It is a long term care facility. It was pretty fun. Well, maybe not fun but I did learned from it and enjoyed the experience. I feared it would be like the nursing home where I did my CNA clinicals, where they didn't treat the residents well at all. They were there for end of life care, and staff gave them nothing more than the minimum care required. The staff at St Joseph's Villa are so caring and friendly. No one passes any person without a smile and saying hello. Sonia, the CNA I worked with in the morning before passing meds was so awesome, she has been working there 3 years and knows all the residents names and everything about them, she seemed to genuinely care for them. The other cool thing about it is that they are a "no lift" facility. They have machines that lift the residents for you so you dont injure yourself in the process with bad body mechanics, the machine does all the work.
It is fun to be a student nurse. As much as I enjoyed the opportunity, I'm glad all the Care plans and Process recordings and 630am shifts are done! For the remainder of the semester all I have to worry about are tests now. Life will be alot easier!

One of the best parts about clinical was having so many awesome people in my clinical group with me, you are never truly alone, they are as terrified as you are and they are right there with you. I love them all! It was so much fun getting to know them all better.


(Diane and Karmen are missing from this photo, they had to leave early)

No comments: