Wednesday, April 28, 2010

For Jaime, Pete & Hank


My step sister and her husband lost one of their babies this week. Hank was no more than 3 years old.
Some of the hardest memories I can remember are times our pets have passed away, so I know the pain and despair that accompanies this loss. There is a very big difference in having pets and being pet people. We are pet people. My dog is my family, my child, my friend, and so much more than I can put into words. Even the pets that live at my mom's house that I've grown up with are just as much my babies as Ando is. They are family and we will protect them at all costs.
Although I have lived through losing these special creatures, I have a hard time finding a way to give any comfort to friends and family that have to go through this tragedy, so I have found a poem to help me express my condolences.

Treasured Friend

I lost a treasured friend today
The loving dog who used to lay
His gentle head upon my knee
And shared his silent thoughts with me.

He'll come no longer to my call
Retrieve no more his favorite ball
A voice far greater than my own
Has called him to His golden throne.

Although my eyes are filled with tears
I thank Him for the happy years
He let him spend with me down here
And for his love and loyalty.

When it is time for me to go
And join him there, this much I know
I shall not fear the transient dark
For he will greet me with a bark.
-- Author Unknown

*The average dog is nicer than the average human. -Andy Rooney
*Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really. -Agnes Sligh Turnbull
*I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive. -Gilda Radner
*Our dogs will love and admire the meanest of us, and feed our colossal vanity with their uncritical homage. -Agnes Repplier
*Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger Caras
*A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. -Josh Billings

That is my tribute to dogs. To a very special one named Hank, may he rest in peace.

2 comments:

Annie Barker said...

Oh you make me cry. Sweet, loyal, cute dogs. I think I'm going to go hug mine right now.:)

Jaime Williams said...

This post made me cry, but I love it!! Thanks so much!! We miss Hank very much but know that he'll be waiting for us!!