Monday, April 19, 2010

The Mommy Gene

When I tell people about being undecided about having children they always either freak out or don't believe me. I just don't think I can deal with the 24/7 obligation for the rest of my life. I like sleeping in and not having to worry about anyone but myself, going on long vacations, and not worrying about baby-sitters, nap times, meal times and such. Not to mention the screaming, tantrums, stinky diapers, or the worry of illness and general child upbringing decision making. I just don't think I'm cut out for it.
However, I do have a nephew that I love to pieces. I babysat him this past Friday. I've babysat kids before of all ages, ones in diapers even so I was not worried at all about him staying the majority of the evening with me. But apparently he's teething and hasn't been sleeping a lot at night. No worries, we're having a good time. Then he needed a diaper change, he was wet, so I attempted a quick diaper change and he FREAKED OUT. He's turning and kicking and screaming and I'm just trying to get the dang diaper and clothes on him so he'll chill out. I end up doing this blindly while holding him upright to try to make him not be so sad. No worries, now he's dry and dressed and happy. My brother came to pick him up at about 11pm and Mckaius was already sleeping, so we chatted for a bit and then they went home. I thought the evening went ok. Some quality time spent with my nephew, all is good.

The next morning my brother called me and asked if I had changed Mckaius' diaper, I told him what happened and asked why he was asking. . . "Brooke, you put his diaper on backwards". Oh no! seriously? I wasn't even thinking that it was weird how the little tape things went towards his back.. oops! I was just trying to make him stop crying! I can make him happy and get him to sleep when he's cranky, I'm a nurturer by nature which is probably why I'm good at and enjoy my job, but I seriously put a diaper on backwards! That must be a sign that I am not cut out for motherhood!
My mommy gene is missing! So no more questioning me on having kids ok? It's obvious that I have no idea how it works at all!

1 comment:

Megan and Braden Edwards said...

Oh Brooke don't worry, you will get them when you see little Eve :) we miss you guys!