Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Baby Birdie

Last week Mike found a baby bird in our window well getting attacked by my neighbor's stupid cat, so he scared the cat away and rescued the bird. The problem was that we couldn't find his nest or mom anywhere and we certainly couldn't just leave him on the ground with the neighbors cat lurking around still so we put him in a box and ran to Petco to find something to feed him. $10 later I had a bag of baby bird food, a syringe, and strict, precise directions of how to care for baby birds. The girl said it was very hard to keep them alive and they need to stay very warm. So I was hopeful that I could give proper care until we could find a bird sanctuary to turn him over to. So i made him a little nest out of washcloths in his box, tried to feed him (which was impossible), and got my electric blanket on high and wrapped it around the box. My uncle (who use to raise falcons) said he was probably just too scared to eat so i should try in the morning. He did have matted feathers on his head from whatever trauma the cat caused him.
When i woke up the next morning and went to check on him, he was dead. I was so sad! I woke up Mike (I'm crying at this point) and he tells me that when he went to bed the night before (about an hour after I left the birdie) he was already dead. We both felt so sad and helpless. At least he didn't get eaten by the cat or drowned in the rain. I feel somewhat better knowing I did everything i could.



RIP Birdie

1 comment:

Jen said...

You are such a good person. Sorry your birdie didn't make it.