Sunday, December 28, 2008

The People Downstairs

Mike bought a house in February 2008 and we have lived here ever since. It is a 5 bedroom 3 bath so he decided that it would help financially if we found some room mates. Parker is a friend of ours who use to live with Mike so he was a given. He is a perfect room mate. He's not home a lot, but when he is he cleans up after himself and is cool to hang out with.
Now before i go any further, for those of you who don't know me very well, i am a clean freak. With that said, we also had Jeremy move in. Mike knew him from high school. He is the biggest source of stress in my life. He is by far the messiest person I've ever met. It has been a constant battle for the past year and it is what Mike and I fight most about. Steve is also someone Mike knew from high school and he moved in over the summer sometime, but in his contract it says that if he's messy, he has to move out. They have just month-to-month leases so they can leave whenever. It's gotten bad enough that we have separate freezers because they buy loads of bulk items that never get eaten. I have split the fridge down the middle, tired of up to 8 salsa containers and several pasta sauce jars. They never clean up their spills in the fridge or anywhere. I have to mop almost weekly. At one point Mike took away the garbage can in the kitchen because it always sticks and never gets emptied. They've never cleaned their bathroom. Dishes stay on the counter sometimes for up to a week. They never wipe the counter when they are finished. Once i came home to chunks of cottage cheese on the counter tops. I've resorted to leaving notes, like your mom use to do when you were 7: ("please clean this, please don't leave this out" etc.) because the last time i confronted Jeremy in person he made me cry. And instead of just picking up their shit they turn it around on me. For example, i wrote a note that "the counter tops still weren't getting cleaned. please clean up after yourselves" because the counter tops had chips and salsa mess all over them. The next morning i awoke to the note stuck to a diet coke can that Mike had left out not more than 12 hours earlier. So he took care of the can and i stuck the note to the dishes that had been sitting by the sink for the past 5 days. This morning when i woke up, the dishes were done but they stuck the note to the towels i had drying over the rail from drying the dogs and wiping up all the water that everyone (themselves included) get in the house with wet shoes and had absolutely nothing to do with the counter tops.. It is completely irritating. As if to say that they only leave things out because upon a rare occasion we do too. It makes me so mad that its driven me to hatred. I don't honestly hate anyone, but i am hating them. So much that EVERYTHING they do just pisses me off!
This was maybe for my benefit than that of the readers, but i feel better letting you all know. Mike just gets mad when i complain so this is my new outlet. You may want to not read them in the future, but it really helps to let it all out!

3 comments:

Brooke said...

I feel your pain. I hate messy roomates. Once I threw out my roomates dishes because she had left them in the sink for a week.

Janine said...

Brooke, I have a good idea. Just get a retained you know what and put it under their bed where they can't find it. That will scare them away. Just make sure you shut their door. :) ha ha

Jen said...

That sucks! Glad you vent to us bloggers. With the New Year coming maybe things will change and your roomates will get a clue??? Hang in there