Thursday, July 22, 2010

The 4th of July

I love summer holidays. Especially this year because for the past several years we've gone to watch fireworks somewhere (usually my mom's because she lives right by west jordan park) or done nothing at all. I told Mike this year that I wanted to light fireworks ourselves like when we were little. I remember how much I used to love sitting in the front yard on camping or patio furniture watching my dad light fireworks in the road. So Saturday Mike gave in and we bought about $40 - $50 worth of fireworks and waited for dusk (most everyone was celebrating on the 3rd because the 4th fell on a Sunday). Mike's brother, sister-in-law and niece (Braden, Meg and Eve) were in town so we invited them too. It turned out to be a whole night of fun (backyards, bbq, drinks and fireworks) with our neighbors too.

I have to shout out to our neighbors (even though I don't think they blog) they are the best neighbors ever! They are a little bit older than us and help us whenever we need it, they are awesome and they have every gadget known to man. Any time we need a ladder or tool, they always have it. Not to mention that they are a blast to hang out with.


Braden and Mike


Braden and sweet Eve in her PJs


My neighbor's little girl, Atley, she is so much fun!


oh yeah, we were there too ;)


Parker was too!


Nick and our neighbor's cousin's son
This little kid was out of control! He wanted to light every firework, not to watch them, just to play with fire. I thought several times he was going to be injured because he wouldn't pay attention to the fireworks already lit, he'd run into the middle of the circle and light one then get another one right after the last was lit. When we took his lighter away, he tricked his mom into lighting sparklers so he could start fireworks with them. I just come from such a strict family that I'm so crazy about kids minding their parents, and this kid was totally not minding!


Brandi and JJ (aka my awesome neighbors) Brandi was on call (she's an OR nurse at St Marks) but fortunately didn't get called away and got hang out all night with us.






Miss Atley, on the other hand, is so well mannered and good. We are in the middle of fireworks and JJ tells her she has to go to bed now, she looked a little sad but started going inside without an argument at all before he told her he was kidding. Then a while later she was tired, so she just went inside and went to bed! She's such a cutie!


Meg and Braden


Little Eve slept through most of the fireworks in my neighbors baby swing (like I said earlier, they have everything!)

It was such a fun weekend. It was a relaxing 4 day weekend and it was so good to see Braden, Meg and meet Eve, since they've moved to the East Coast we rarely get to see them and I miss them! I'm glad they were able put so much time aside to spend with us (and for Braden to help Mike get a little more of our deck done, thanks Braden!) Miss you guys and hope to see you soon!

No comments: