Saturday, July 10, 2010

Demolition Derby

Until a couple of weeks ago I was a Demolition Derby Virgin. That's right, I've somehow managed to live through my 26 years without ever attending or really even know anything about demolition derbies. Mike decided that it had been long enough and bought us tickets.



I was surprised how many people were there, it was practically a sold out crowd. Then it began and I realized what types of people come to the derby. The large man who was sitting behind me with at least 3 out-of-control children told these children to quiet down because they were going to sing the Pledge of Allegiance. Yes, that's what he said. He didn't think it sounded off, or try to correct himself. He legitimately mistook the Pledge of Allegiance for the National Anthem. Sad but true. I couldn't make that up. This is a person raising children who doesn't even know that it's called the National Anthem.
(On a side note, do children in school still say the Pledge of Allegiance? Or know about the National Anthem? I remember in elementary school we used to say the Pledge at least once a week if not everyday. Did they do away with that because it says "Under God"? If they did, it's a shame!)


I was surprised at how much fun the derby was. I always thought that watching a bunch of cars crash into each other would be dreadfully boring, but it actually wasn't, it was oddly entertaining! I even think I'll attempt to go again in the future.


We were sitting on the second or third to last row and me being the worry-er that I am asks Mike if we are going to be safe. He says, "Of course!" and laughs a little. Then some part of the car flies over the crowd and into the parking lot. I'm thinking, Oh great, we're going to die.
As you can see, I've lived to write about it thank goodness. It's bad, but I can take any situation and overwhelm myself with worry about what could go wrong. Don't worry, I'm trying to fix that. I did end up having a great time despite my worrying and getting kicked in the back by those out-of-control children!

No comments: