Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Real 4th of July

Sunday night was the real 4th of July but most people celebrated on Saturday. Our friend, Beau, threw a party on Sunday, as he does for every occasion imaginable to celebrate. Apparently he does this every 4th of July, but this is the first one I've witnessed. I got there late but it looked like he had a buffet-like bbq to feed the masses.
When it came time for fireworks I was in for a few surprises:

1. Random people from all around were lighting and throwing flowers (those cylindrical fireworks that spin and change from pink to green) everywhere, into the fire pit, at each other, at the people lighting the other fireworks, I was terrified at first, then I just learned to pay attention and get the hell out of the way!

2. Beau did the fireworks in his back yard on some sort of hard surface placed in the middle of his lawn, not in the street like most people.

3. He lit one firework with a lighter, that was all. All of the subsequent fireworks were lit from fireworks that were already going. That's right, he got close enough to lit fireworks to light more.

4. Why have one firework going when you can have five going? I remember seeing the box of fireworks he had purchased and thinking "this is going to be 4 hours worth of fireworks", nope, it took maybe 30 - 45 mins.


5. Drunk people run through lit fireworks like they are sprinklers. (My roommate Parker included).

6. I learned what the term "Roman candle wars" meant. People (guys) were picking up lit fireworks and chasing each other around with them.

Well, that's all the things I can remember learning this 4th of July. It was the most insane firework show I can remember. I'm incredibly surprised that no one ended up in the ER. But it was entertaining to say the least.

No comments: