Saturday, July 10, 2010

Donating can be fun!

The other day I got a postcard in the mail from Big Brothers Big Sisters of Utah asking for donations of usable clothing and household items. The postcard said that all we had to do was put them in a bag and put them curbside by a certain time on a certain day and they would be picked up.
How easy is that? I already have 3 bags full of old clothes in the basement, why not go through them and give them to someone who will use them? So I talked Mike into going through his many, many clothes and giving away some of them.
I admit that I had to be a little hard on him to get him to decide for certain items of clothes. The rule was that if it doesn't fit or if you wont wear it, it gets put in the bag. So began our quest.
And I have to say that I was shocked.
Mike has clothes from Junior High! And he was reluctant to give them away. It was like torture. I felt bad, but I made him give things away that he didn't really want to, but they all fit the criteria that it didn't fit or that he wouldn't wear it
Here is his pile:


This was mine:

I routinely go through my clothes and throw out, give away or at least put aside unworn clothes about once a year to make room for the new clothes I buy. Out with the old, in with the new. Why not have closet full of clothes you wear, instead of a closet full of clothes you used to wear?

And why not for a good cause?!
Thank you Big Brothers Big Sisters of Utah for helping us to help you! We gave away 2 huge lawn and leaf bags full of unworn clothes! Now we have all that room for new clothes!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Brooke,
I wanted to say thank you on behalf of Big Brothers Big Sisters for helping us spread the word about donating! Thank you so much for your support.
Linda - Big Brothers Big Sisters of Utah